Scotch on the Rocks is probably one of the most purest ways to drink a good Scotch Whisky. This is said to preserve both the taste and the flavor of a Single Malt Whisky the best way possible.
Most scotch aficionados will swear by drinking the Scotch neat or without any ice and water. A couple of ice cubes or a little water can actually accentuate the flavors much nicer than drinking it straight or neat. Also, adding a little bit of water makes the whisky much more palatable to people who are not exceptionally fond of the smoky taste of the whisky.
An alternative to using ice cubes is to use chilled whisky stones. This allows the drink to stay cold longer without diluting the whisky at all. But this does not really open up the whisky flavor as best as a little water can.
What you use will depend very much on the taste of the particular whisky and your own personal preference. My preference is to first sip the whisky neat. Depending on the smokiness and the flavor, I add a little splash of water or an ice cube as desired to suit my own taste. My most preferred way is to mix the ice and whisky stones to get the best of both.
- Premium Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- Whisky Stones
- Ice Cube(s)
- Put 3 to 4 chilled whisky stones into the glass
- Add one ice cube into the glass
- Pour Scotch Whisky slowly into the glass to cover the stones
(Neat or Straight) Whisky: Serve without the ice cubes and with just the whisky stones. Some even have it without the whisky stones and at room temperature.
- Some may choose to add a few drops or a splash of water instead of the ice cube. Either works just about the same. I usually prefer the ice cube. You can also use a chilled glass in addition to the chilled whisky stones.
- The amount of water/ice cube added should depend very much on the taste of the whisky itself and your appreciation of the taste. To me, the smokier tasting whiskies demand an extra ice cube. It basically helps to water the flavor down a little bit.
- There is no right or wrong way to drink scotch whisky, and neither is just one way to do it. It is what suits your taste and style. Drink as you like it….